Friday, June 1, 2012

Día Numero Uno

I made it to Costa Rica safely last night. I met my two host moms, Soli and Sara. They're awesome! 


Today I ventured out into the streets of San Jose. After eating the delicious omelet Sara made for me (I have no idea what was in it, but it was really tasty), I grabbed my backpack and we both headed for the bus stop. The bus stop is a little bit of a walk from my house, but its safe. We paid 250 ₡ (that's the symbol for colones) each to ride the bus. The Grupo de Kansas office was just a short walk from where we got off the bus. I took a Spanish placement test that included a long interview about things like my childhood, places I've traveled, and what bothers me. Then it rained. And by rained I mean it poured (for about 20 minutes).  We ate lunch at an Italian restaurant. It was surprisingly good. After lunch we continued our tour of the huge UCR campus and walked the streets a little. The campus is beautiful. It's like walking through the rain forest. There are giant, old rain forest trees, little rivers, and lots of cool flowers. I know I'm going to get lost looking for my class on Monday. Luckily I know how to ask for directions in Spanish. Once the tour was over and some last minute tips were given by the coordinator, Isa, Sara came to pick me up. We started our trip back home, but after we got off of the bus, I had to direct us home. This may come as a shock to people who are aware of my lack of directional abilities... I actually got us home! I'm exhausted. 


I had a great first day and I know there are more to come! 


I'll post pictures when I get the chance. 

3 comments:

  1. Ryan - YAY I'm so glad you had a good first day. I miss you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What bothers you...did you mention SPIDERS! Miss Ann

    ReplyDelete