Monday, August 6, 2012

First day of class: SO1133

I excitedly (and a little nervously) waited outside of my classroom in the social science building. I was twenty-something minutes early but other students were already gathering in the hallway. It was clear that many people already knew each other; there was a ton of cheek kissing (the traditional greeting). I sat and observed everything... I have so much to learn. By the time 9:56 am rolled around I was beginning to get a little worried about why no one had entered the class room (my class was scheduled to start at 10 am). Was this the right classroom? What if this isn't even the right building? Luckily people started to go in and take their seats soon afterward. I followed their lead.
The next big decision I was up against: where to sit. I had around 35 seats to choose from. I had been told that the bad students sit in the back... nope, don't want to sit there. There was a group of girls who clearly already had established a clique... keep looking. At the other side of the classroom there was a girl sitting by herself... looks good to me! Now that I had successfully established where I would be sitting for the next three hours of my life, all I could do was sit and wait for my professor to get there. 
Ten minutes after 10:00 am, my professor strolled through the door. I had heard that its not unusual for the professor to show up late. Decked out in plaid pants, flowy hair, big glasses, and a loose button down shirt, it looked like he had rolled fresh out of the 70's. He's one cool cat. He began speaking so quietly and softly; there's no way everyone heard what he said. Somehow I managed to catch some of what he was saying... attendance is important... this class is important... Welcome to Basic Sociology I (SO1133).
Once he was finished with his opening sermon, we broke into small groups of three to "get to know each other". I don't think he realizes how grateful I am for making us do this seemingly lame activity. I talked with two very nice girls. We talked about where we're from, our majors, and the like. I am thankful for their patience and kindness. We actually ended up swapping phone numbers at the end of class. 
Despite my professor's wordy tendencies, interesting choice of style, and and quiet voice, he seems like a pretty cool guy. I've heard he's pretty "gringo friendly", and I'm getting that vibe too. He doesn't like to give bad grades and it seems like he has good intentions. I mean he basically helped me meet new classmates. There's only 16 of us. We have two tests and small skits that make up our final grade. Oh, and of course, attendance. I think I'm going to really like this class. 


I'm actually doing it! 




4 comments:

  1. sounds like you got really lucky with your teacher! I'm so happy for you and that you made some new friends. Hopefully your other classes end up being this awesome. Just make sure you go every week : p - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica wants a shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how does this cool cat of a teacher ask you students to address him, formally or informally?
    And what are you finding is the "appropriate" dress attire? So interesting to hear about life in a foreign town!
    Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your teacher sounds groovy. Hope you are doing well, and getting over that little bout of culture shock you had last night. Remember, it's not just study abroad, it's an adventure. We're making plans to come see you in September, looking forward to it.

    Miss and love you. Take care,

    John

    ReplyDelete