Sunday, October 21, 2012

Artisan Market: Molas

Two ducks and a fish 
I went to the artisan market in downtown San José today. Walking past the endless block of venders, I came across these beautiful pieces of fabric. After asking the vender more about the fabric squares, I found out that they are "molas". Molas are fabric squares that are hand-made by an indigenous people, Kuna, that live close to the Panama and Costa Rica border.  The process to make the molas is pretty interesting; every color is a different layer of fabric and every stitch is done by hand. They are used to decorate the shirts and clothing of the indigenous people. I plan on framing them and making them a work of art. 

Geometric Animal 

4 comments:

  1. The bird one is SOO COOL!! I like them a lot and can't wait to see them decorate you're apartment next year : ). Just don't go overboard and buy every one that you see. - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those are beautiful, I wish I would have seen them when we visited. Between your Chinese paintings and your costa Rican art your apartment is going to be very international! Love you mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous indigenous art, very bright, uplifting for the soul, and will be spirit-like in your abode. There was a similar form in Mexico done by the Huicholes, native Indian tribe. I have showed you some of that art, which I have kept in a thick mailer tube; some of it was painted on bark-like material. I wonder if you remember? The artisan market will be a highlight when we visit.
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw molas in Mexico several years ago and more recently in Santa Fe. They are very pretty. Miss Ann

    ReplyDelete