Saturday, October 20, 2012

Butterflies!

Gabrielle, Mariah, and I started out our day with a not-so-easy pilates class at the university gym. Finished with our class, sweaty, and excited for the day, we set out on an adventure to a butterfly garden. 
The butterfly garden is a small oasis of nature tucked into the city of San José. Covered by a series of large nets, the butterfly garden is a safe haven for some of Costa Rica's beautiful butterflies. 
Identifying the butterflies online is proving to be pretty tricky.... The names for the butterflies in the captions are what I think they should be called. 

Black and White Cookie Butterfly 

Owl Butterfly
(That's the real name) 
Owl butterflies are the butterflies that have bright iridescent blue between their wings. They're really pretty, but had to capture in a picture.

America the Butterfly
Butterfly Guide
(It only had boring scientific names) 
Butterfly guide 2
Snacking Caterpillar 
Red Lipstick Butterfly 
Happy Halloween Butterfly
Me and my new friend
This butterfly loved me. He landed on my arm and stayed there licking what I assume was dried sweat for the longest time. Even after I managed to get him off of me, he came back. I guess I'm just super tasty or that butterfly was a little crazy.
Inside of his wings
Name: Electric Slide Butterfly 

Look at that tongue! 

Due to the humidity at the butterfly garden, the lens on my camera fogged up a little bit toward the top. 

I had an awesome time today! 

3 comments:

  1. They're so pretty!! I wish a butterfly would lick me! Although that tongue is pretty intimidating... haha. I'm glad you made a new friend and got to interact with all the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! That butterfly must have needed some "rock chalk" !

    Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures, Syd! They look surreal; too incredibly colorful and fragile. Great names for them.....easier to remember than the boring scientific option:). It seems that almost any encounter of the third kind, as long as it's positive, from butterflies to turtles or whales, is uplifting in a special way. I don't think we have so many tropical varieties in our butterfly pavilion that we've been to north of Denver! What a wonderful memory you've made!!
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete