Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ceviche Chef

Because I am an up and coming Costa Rican chef, I made ceviche the other day. Ceviche is a dish of fish or seafood (sometimes a combination of the two) that is "cooked" in lime juices.
Early in the morning Sara and I went to a local pescadería (fish market) to pick out some fresh pescado (fish) for my ceviche. We also stopped by the grocery store to pick up some other ingredients. 

To start, I took the two and a half pounds of white marlin I bought and chopped it up in to half-inch cubes. Next I chopped up half of a purple onion. Then I cut up half of a sweet chile pepper. I squeezed 8 mandarin limes (its a lime, but the inside is orange). After every thing was all together, I added the secret ingredient: club soda. 
I stuck it in the fridge for about seven hours. I could tell it was ready because the fish changed from looking raw to looking cooked and white. I added chopped cilantro shortly before I served  the ceviche. 
People usually eat ceviche with tortilla chips or club crackers. Sara likes to eat hers with a ketchup and mayonnaise mix. I couldn't bring my self to adding ketchup and mayonnaise to my perfect creation. 
The ceviche was really delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite. The labor was totally worth it.


Making the ceviche!

THE Ceviche! (Yum!)


4 comments:

  1. If it is as good as the ceviche I ate when I visited then I will gladly let you cook some for me sometime. I'll make the easy side dishes and be the co chef. I'm glad Sarah helped give you the opportunity to create your special dish - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you may now know after living in CR as a near native, ceviche is a staple of Latino life, found in many variations in Latin America. You may combine all sorts of fish and shellfish, with or without tomato and/or tomato based sauce, to allow different flavor profiles, as long as you have the requisite acidity provided by the lime juice (maybe with a little lemon added) to break down (aka, cook) the protein fibers in the sea life. I especially like octopus (pulpo) mixed in my ceviche. We must go to Jorge and Dalilah's east side tacqueria when you return for one of the best and most mouth watering examples I've ever had! You will love it!!
    Keep practicing your art...I can almost guarantee you will make this again in the future for special occasions and guests, Thanksgiving 2025?? It may take years for your kids to try it!!!
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. I think John's grandma & grandpa Armstrong would have enjoyed eating this with you! As for me I'm eating a delicious quesadilla I just prepared of cheese, hot green chilies from Spencers and roasted beef tenderloin...yummy!!(on a flour tortilla) Another thing, I just returned from a day trip today from Keystone to visit my dear friends who live on Primrose Lane (former neighbors). Lots of fun! Love, Miss Ann And, I love catching up with you and your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are learning something useful in the kitchen. I think the technical term is denaturation (not "cooked") as there is no heat involved in preparing ceviche. Though either method unravels and rearranges the protein chains in the fish in very similar ways.

    John

    ReplyDelete