Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Class #3: HA 1427

Up to this point I have only written about two of my four classes. I think its fair to write about my remain two classes, too.

The first and most important thing I can say about my History of the United States class is that it, like my other classes, is three hours long and starts at 7:00 AM every Wednesday. If that doesn't seem brutal enough, maybe the fact that 95 percent of the time my professor spends 95 percent of the class giving a slow and painful lecture. Usually around half of the class doesn't even show up and the half that actually makes it to class is left to fight off droopy eyelids and the risk of snoring in class.
My professor is a nice lady who is probably in her mid-sixties. The way she giggles at her own dull lectures is kind of endearing; it might even be my favorite part of class. She teaches us about the colonies, battles, conflicts, important people... you know, normal history stuff. Its like I'm relearning everything I forgot from sixth grade history.
With the presidential debate coming up, she talks about more recent politics as well. Not surprisingly she tends to bash the Bush administration tastefully at any chance she can get. Its interesting to hear the history of my country from an outside perspective. Ideas of imperialism, greed, and dominance frequently are discussed as defining characteristics of the U.S.. Honestly if everyone was taught from this perspective in history classes in America, I feel like the opinion of ourselves as a nation would be drastically different.
I was a little surprised when I realized that my classmates were not using the class to openly bash America. Instead they are very respectful in what they say and ask perfectly legitimate questions.

Besides the incredibly boring lecture and the 20 page group paper I have to write soon, I like the class; the material is interesting enough to catch my attention.

3 comments:

  1. How interseting to reflect that there are many different histories written, each one from the perspective of the writer or the group, which may or may not have to do with the facts of the events. Truth is not necessarily pertinent to the writing of history.....makes one cautious about believing everything one reads, no??
    Love you, Syd,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Miss Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the time in Taiwan I was talking with an older gentleman. After he learned that I was from the USA, he said "Well, I've never been to America, but I know a lot about it." I tried to impress upon him the irony that I was actually in his country at the moment, but his desire to point out as many shortcomings of the USA as he could would not be stopped by my observation of locality.

    ReplyDelete