Monday, June 4, 2012

Cell Phone Info

I killed my first Costa Rican spider today but more importantly, I had a great first day of class.

I was placed in the Advanced 1 class. Today was an easy day; we just talked about ourselves and read newspaper articles. I really like my teacher. I was surprised to find out that some of my classmates are from other countries. There are two people from Switzerland, a girl from Japan, a girl from Taiwan, a girl from South Korea, and there is a girl from China in my class. It's really cool because I can communicate with these people (in Spanish) and I might not have been able to otherwise.
In addition to class, I ventured out into the streets of San Jose (with Sara as my guide) to buy a cell phone, towels, and some toiletries. My phone costs the U.S. equivalent of $20 and they put the same amount of money into my account. Pretty awesome if you ask me. Due to some of the stares I received today, I think I am beginning to realize how much I stand out as a foreigner even though I wore skinny jeans and sneakers (that's the typical Tica attire). Tomorrow I am going to attempt to get to the university, or as they say here: "La U", by myself. I'm confident that I can make it without any problems, but I'm glad I have a cell phone just in case I get lost.

My cell phone and workbook


My cell phone number is 8517-1166. To call or text me you need to enter the U.S. code (011) to dial out of the country and the Costa Rica's country code (506) before dialing my number. When you call me you will enter: 01150685171166.

6 comments:

  1. Was it like a gigantic tarantula? Or something like that? Haha did you scream? -love you, erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. No haha. It was a nasty red spider with skinny legs. I didn't even scream! I'm awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan - Erica, I don't believe her. She had to have screamed. I mean, its Sydney :P haha. But I'm glad you had a good first day!!! You're the besttt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait til you drive over the tarantulas warming themselves on the heated road after dark and they crunch under your tires....they grow 'em big down there!! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sydney, A spider...oh, no! Good for you for not screaming like you did in Montana a few years back! Maya liked her American Girl doll...Nicki, a Colorado doll. Discontinued now but she's been in my closet waiting for yesterday ever since 2007! Maya is still processing that one! Love, Miss Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sydney. Glad it's going well. Sounds like a great adventure. Look forward to reading your blog every day. Kevin

    ReplyDelete