Sunday, June 10, 2012

Guess what I had for lunch

I'll give you one guess about what's in this pan. If you guessed anything other than cow tongue, you're wrong. 

Today we went to visit and have lunch with one of Soli's brothers who lives in Escazú (another province of San José). Soli's brother and his wife were both very nice to me and included me in the conversations. They live in a nice house with a beautiful garden, yard, and patio area.  We had lengua (cow tongue) in a tomato sauce with rice and fresh vegetables for lunch. When I left for CR, I knew I would encounter foods, customs, and situations that would be different than I what I was used to. I consciously decided that I would approach everything with an open mind regardless of my previous conceptions. I happily ate my entire meal. There were a few instances where I felt a little uncomfortable, but I just kept telling myself that it's food, they eat it and I can eat it, too. Plus, the flavor was pretty good so that helped. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try something that was a little outside my comfort level; I'm also proud that I approached it with such an open mind. 
Lengua tacos at the taco truck, here I come! Well, maybe... 

A flower from a Granadilla Silvestre plant
(it produces an orange fruit)


A wall commemorating the annual run with bulls that is done in Escazú every Christmas.


Me standing by the wall 

7 comments:

  1. that wall is super cool looking, why did you have to ruin it :P haha. I'm glad you had a good day but dont expect me to eat cow tongue with you when you come back - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I am so proud of your adventurous mind set!good for you! I am glad you tried it,but I am not going to ask John to master that recipe! I am so happy you have such great host family,I think you got lucky. By the way, you look very Tica! Love you mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sydney, Guess what? I grew up eating tongue...yes, I did. We didn't have it every week but I can still see my mother cooking it and I liked it! Love reading your blog and your posts of pictures. My friend, Lori, who is fluent in Spanish and teaches it at UCD would like to read your blog. Would you mind if I share your blogspot with her? Love, Miss Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I'm glad you like my blog! Feel free to share my blog with anyone! Especially your friend, Lori. I'd love having more people know about my experiences!

      Delete
  4. Hey Sydney, glad to hear you are having such a good time and trying new things. You were, after all, the one who ate a silkworm in China last year. I want the recipe for the pazole even though it's not paleo, it looks delicious and is one of my favorites too. Keep working hard in school. Miss you and love you lots.
    --John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true... I think the silk worm incident set the stage for my cow tongue consumption. Maybe. The picture I have posted is of the lengua I ate. But i'll see if I can get the recipe for the pozole from Soli. Miss you and love you lots too!

      Delete
  5. Hi Darling Girl, So proud of you--You are doing wonderful things--but I have to tell you that any spider that crosses my path that is not intent on getting dinner for itself is a gonner! I also like to look at thema and watch them, but don't want those critters in me or in my bed!

    So many wondrful things to see and explore--thank you for the blog and allowing us all to share your life in your "new home". Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete