Monday, June 11, 2012

Sugar Cane

I got a good grade on the test I took Friday. I feel like I am learning a lot in my class. Even though having class four hours a day, five days a week can be a little tiring, I really enjoy the class.

Soli brought home a stock of sugar cane yesterday from our trip to Escazú. My dad has told me stories about the kids he saw in Mexico chewing on sugar cane and their elders who did the same. Consequently some of their teeth were in bad shape. After hearing this story for many years, I was excited when she brought the cane home. I watched Soli chop the sugar cane into segments and peel away the outside. She sliced the inside into thinner pieces and handed me one. I chewed on it. I'm not sure how to describe what it tastes like other than it's the sweetest thing I've ever had. Sugar cane is like the best candy; I can see why kids would love it. Don't worry, I brushed my teeth immediately after I finished chewing on my slice. I'm not trying to lose any of my teeth.

The whole sugar cane 

Chopped up sugar cane

Sliced sugar cane



3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I didnt realize sugar cane was so large. But I am glad you enjoyed it and were smart enough to brush your teeth. If you lose a few teeth we might have to have a talk : p - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for biting on the tongue when it stuck itself out to you! It's a lengua date at the taco truck when you get back to CS. You will probably meet menudo at some point.
    I was impressed with the wall....looks very beautiful and Inca-like. How cool that your host moms have adopted you into their family.
    The sugar cane story is priceless!! So, so sweet, it's irresistible. It's why cane sugar is such a commodity, and (for those that drink them) why sodas outside of the US taste so different, as we use corn syrup as sweetener. Good comment, Ryan:)
    Are those your skinny jeans hanging in the backgound in the kithen? Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so lucky to have been placed with such a great family.

      Yes, those are my skinny jeans hanging in the background.... they were drying because they can't go in the dryer.

      Delete