Friday, June 15, 2012

Spider Slayer

I took my second exam in my class today. I think it went okay but I won't know until Monday.

I used to be terrified of spiders. In the past, you may have either heard me scream after finding a spider. Actually, the likelihood that you have witnessed me flailing my arms, running away, and/or screaming irrationally due to the presence of a spider is about equal to the probability of the sun rising in the morning. Simply put, arachnophobia got the best of me. Prior to leaving for CR everyone warned me about the numerous spiders I would encounter in this climate and area. The teasing ranged from simple comments to my mom sending me pictures of the biggest, nastiest Costa Rican spiders she could find on the internet.
Today I am proud to say that I, Sydney Golditch, have drastically decreased my irrational fear of spiders. Exposure to the many spiders I have seen in CR has helped me realize that I can easily smash them with a shoe. I no longer scream or run away; I conquer. Not to say that I want spiders crawling on me or even close to me... I can tolerate their presence. I've even had a couple of spiders accompany me in the shower. I'd call that forward progress.

I saw two interesting spiders in the plant in front of my house today. To test my tolerance level I took some up close and personal pictures of the spiders. It was a little windy outside so their webs kept moving and the pictures are a little blurry, but I think they are kind of cool.


Spiders 1
(a spider is visible to the left)

Spider 2 (making a web)

Spider 3

Spider 4





4 comments:

  1. Sydney until you slay the infamous bird eating spider of costa rica I will not believe you have conquered your fears! It is excellent progress however. Love and miss you lots,Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I knew you' d conguer your fear! Watching Rockies. It's tied but not holding out hope for a win. The've lost 8 straight. Special, they are playing the Detroit Tigers. My favorite team as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm with mom on this and not convinced you've conquered your fear at all. But that's ok, you still have over 6 months left in CR to make some headway. Besides those spiders don't look too dangerous anyway. Have fun, love John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. Congratulations on facing and conquering your demons. I personally think you are going to come full circle and by the time you leave CR you will relish and cherish spiders as the unique creatures they are on earth. Of course, that's not to say anyone wants them crawling on them or in their bed or sleeping bag, but when you were a child, you loved spiders with a fascination and passion that rivaled any other. You were drawn to them and their ways, their webs, and activities. Spidergirl??
    Love and miss you, Dad

    ReplyDelete