Saturday, July 14, 2012

Santa Elena: Cloud Forest Reserve/ Ficus Tree

Cloud forrest reserve:
In Santa Elena I visited the cloud forest reserve. Jess and I set out in the morning to go to the reserve. We hiked around a total of 5 miles on the trails that run through the forest. I was amazed again at the beauty of the nature. There was literally something growing every where: plants grow on other plants, on dead trees, and alive trees. It's amazing. Also, it was incredibly humid in the forest. Toward the end of our hike we were startled when fruit from at tree above fell right in front of us. With suspicion we looked up at the tree tops. We saw a total of 6 spider monkeys in the trees that day. Unfortunately my camera had died moments before we saw the monkeys. But they were very cool to watch. I especially liked how they swing from tree to tree using their tail. 

A Big Cloud Forest tree

A flower growing on a tree 

A Centipede 


Ficus tree:
After our hike in the cloud forest, a staff member from the hostel guided us to a really cool, old ficus tree. It was a bit of a hike to the tree, but it was worth it. The ficus tree is basically a hollow tree. It starts by growing on another tree and eventually kills it. In many years time, the inner tree rots away leaving a hollow ficus tree. We climbed to the top of the tree. I would estimate that it was over 100 feet high. The way the tree shaped made it very easy to climb. It was awesome. I had so much fun seeing and climbing the tree. 
Everything I did was incredibly cool. I'm really glad I was able to have these experiences. 

The Ficus Tree looking up from the ground

Looking down the center of the tree from inside

Me and Jess in the ficus tree




3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to do all that cool stuffffff. Too bad your camera died though, would have been cool to see those monkeys (atleast they weren't thieves like the one that stole your suncreen). I am jealous you got to climb the ficus tree, looks really fun. I miss you a lot. - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sydney you are having to much fun but I'm sure glad you get to experience all the new sights and especially the monkeies. Just be careful climbing the trees. We sure do miss ya but so glad you are having a fun time. With classes starting you'll have to start working again. Bummer Love You, Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, you are Spidergirl :)
    Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete